Hamburgers, hot dogs, ice cold beverages, parades, family & friend get-togethers and climaxing the day with an evening of fireworks. 4th of July in Iowa! Does it get any better than this. Patriotism just oozes from everyone and we're not even afraid to mimic Lee Greenwood in singing "I'm Proud to be an American." But somewhere during the long day of fun, frolic and festivities, there comes "The Lull." That time when everyone at your home begins to yawn, stare at each other and try to come up with some more witty conversation!! That doesn't happen at your house? Hmmm, could it be me? Anyway, if it is just me, I'm gonna be prepared 'cuz just when that Lull starts, I'm bring out "THE 4TH OF JULY QUIZ." And once again, I shall be the life of the party! In my own mind at least. Here's the quiz. Look for the answers tomorrow- July 3 -tamatoledonews.com
1. Who said these words,"We must all be willing to hang together or most assuredly we will all hang separately?" (John Adams, George Washington, John Hancock, Benjamin Franklin)
2. Who was the primary author of the Declaration of Independence? (Nathan Hale, Thomas Jefferson, Edward Rutledge, Andrew Jackson)
3. On what date did most sign the Declaration of Independence? (August 2, July 4, July 2, June 30)
4. Who was the oldest signer of the Declaration of Independence? (Steven Hopkins, Benjamin Franklin, George Washington, Zachary Taylor)
5. Three Presidents actually died on the 4th of July. Which of these did NOT? (John Adams, James Monroe, Thomas Jefferson, Herbert Hoover)
6. What President was famous for playing 18 holes of golf every 4th of July. (Bill Clinton, Gerald Ford, Dwight Eisenhower, John Kennedy)
7. How many people actually signed the Declaration on the 4th of July? (two, seventeen, thirty-three, no one actually did on this date).
8. How many men signed the Declaration of Independence? (13, 44, 76, 56, 7)
9. Who was the first person to sign the Declaration of Independence? (George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, John Hancock, James Madison or Thomas McKean)
10. What Major League pitcher threw the only no-hitter on the 4th of July? (Whitey Ford, Warren Spahn, Bob Feller, John Sheda, or Dave Righetti)
Well, how did you think you did? What" You gave up! Come on, give it a shot and if you're the first to read this, hide the answers and during the course of the day, just casually mention some of these questions, sharing the answers and coming off like a really 4th of July wizard!
Oh, here's a final "extra credit" chance for everyone to redeem themselves.....Just begin singing, "And I'm proud to be an American, because at least I know I'm free. And I won't forget the men who died and gave their lives for me. And I'll gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today, 'cuz there ain't no doubt, I love this land....GOD BLESS THE USA."
That's The Way I See It. Let me know how you see it at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at 319-327-4640. Have a great but safe 4th of July.
Oh, by the way.....If you are going to one of the many parades.....make sure you stand when the American Flag passes by you! It is truly our symbol of the freedoms we enjoy today!!