Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Home RSS

Community Foundation to award $125,000 grants April 18

April 14, 2018
Special to The News-Herald , Toledo Chronicle, Tama News-Herald

On Wednesday, April 18, at 6:30 p.m. the Tama County Community Foundation (TCCF) will present more than $125,000 in grants to area non-profits.

The April 18 Grant Awards event will be held at the Kupka Cultural Center in the lower level of the Traer Public Library, 531 2nd Street.

The public is invited to attend and refreshments will be served.

Article Photos

This will be the 13th year of grant making for TCCF, which was founded to allow Tama County to receive casino gaming funds. In 2004 the Iowa Legislature implemented the County Endowment Fund Program which distributes a percentage of the State's gaming tax revenues, to the 84 counties without a commercial state licensed casino, through their qualified community foundation.

TCCF passes through 75 percent of the allocated funds to projects within Tama County. The remaining 25 percent is placed in a permanent endowment to help fund future projects. From the beginning TCCF has used these funds to leverage additional endowment funds and currently oversees 13 endowments totaling over $1.6 million in assets.

"This year $23,675 in grants are actually coming from the local endowments, including South Tama County United Fund," said Greg Pettiecord, TCCF Governing Committee Chair.

Many Requests

In the 2018 grant cycle a total of 58 applicants requested nearly $267,200, more than twice the available grant funds. "We just can't fund them all," Pettiecord added. "The need is clear and the Committee does our best to make sure the money is distributed fairly and where we believe it can do the most good."

Several exemplary 2017 grantees will provide a brief overview of their projects: Green Mountain-Garwin School District's acquisition of digital microscopes for agricultural and science education and replacement of storm damaged trees at Clutier's St. Wenceslaus Cemetery.

Horbach Award

The 2017 Horbach Award recipient, the Leonard "King" Cole Memorial to be constructed in Toledo Heights Park will also be featured. A Toledo native, Cole was the pitcher in the Chicago Cubs only win in the 1910 World Series and also pitched the Cubs first no-hitter.

Former State Representative Lance Horbach will also be presenting the 2018 Horbach Award. Horbach was a co-sponsor and strong advocate of the legislation which created the County Grant Program. Initiated in 2013, the annual award recognizes a project exemplifying vision, impact, innovation, and creativity.



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web