Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Home RSS

STC Middle School fire update

August 9, 2019
By John Speer - Editor ( , Toledo Chronicle, Tama News-Herald

An early morning fire on Monday, Aug. 5, in the basement boiler room of the South Tama Middle School in Toledo resulted in some damage to two classrooms the school board learned in a report from Supt. Jared Smith and Business Manager Mary Boege Monday night, Aug 5.

Ceiling tile needs to be replaced in two classrooms and a floor was also damaged in one of these classrooms Smith said.

Smith said Steve McAdoo, district, maintenance supervisor, said the initial assessment is there would not be a problem with South Tama beginning classes at the Middle School for the fall term on Aug. 23.

Article Photos

Firefighters check the roof of the South Tama Middle School in Toledo early on Mnoday morning, Aug. 5, 2019, where some smoke was observed coming from the building. Toledo and Tama firefighters were on the scene for three hours Toledo Fire Chief Kendall Jordan told The Chronicle.
Chronicle photo/John Speer

Boege said ServicePro Company was already at work on Monday and the firm has a crew working on the building.

Smith said a group of 10 teachers working on a project in the building this week were to be relocated to the STC Partnership Center of High School.

Insurance is expected to cover any loss and expenses Boege indicated.

Toledo Fire Chief Kendall Jordan had told The News-Herald the fire was caused by a faulty electrical control which set a wooden bench on fire and melted a plastic water line in the basement area. The fire sent some smoke up a channel and out the top of the building.



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web